At Naija Nation, we believe the pursuit of education is a human right. Because of this, we want to support members of our community by creating opportunities for you regardless of your age and your level of education. This is a guide with all the information you need to apply for the very first round of The Naija Nation Legacy Scholarship!
The Naija Nation Legacy Foundation was formed by Nigerians with the aim to serve the greater African Diaspora. We want to have a meaningful impact in our community by supporting the educational dreams of our members, and we’re excited to start off with these scholarships.
In the next five years, we plan to reward $50,000 in scholarships to people who are highly motivated and passionate about education.
This year, we will be awarding three scholarships of $1,000, $750, and $500!
Any U.S. citizen of African heritage with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 is eligible to apply, no matter the education level, education goal, or field of study. We can’t wait to receive your scholarship application and we’re cheering you on!
To apply, submit a video application including:
- A brief introduction with your name, the school you are attending or planning to attend, your level of education, and what African tribe you are from.
- Your field of study, or intended field of study.
- Your educational goals and dream career – show us your drive and passion!
- Lastly, tell us how you would improve your community if you were granted one million dollars tomorrow.
Also, be prepared to include an unofficial transcript from your school/university.
- The video must be between two and five minutes.
- Speak clearly, use proper lighting, and keep your head and shoulders in the frame at all times.
- You must be clearly visible and in a distraction-free environment.
- The video must be filmed horizontally.
- Upload your video to Youtube or Vimeo and include the direct link in the scholarship application form.
Tips for success in any scholarship application
- Craft a balanced application. In addition to your academic achievements and strengths, communicate your extracurricular activities, future goals, personal interests, and more. Present a complete picture!
- Make sure you meet the scholarship selection criteria but also learn what you can about the company/organization offering the scholarship. With this information, you can communicate how aligned you are with its goals and mission.
- Work hard to maintain a stellar GPA! One of the most common requirements is a 3.0 GPA so having that or higher automatically qualifies you for most scholarships out there!
- Pay attention to detail. Carefully check your materials and, if possible, get someone to review your essay or video entry and give you feedback so you can fine-tune it. Take your time to do your best, which means no procrastinating until the last minute.
- Apply apply apply! Sometimes we count ourselves out altogether just to avoid failure, but it is not your job to tell yourself no. The more scholarship applications you send out, the better your chances of winning!
- Be yourself, have fun, and let who you are shine through! A major part of your scholarship application is you— the skills, qualities, and experiences that have made you who are. They are your strengths, use them!
Want to assist our efforts?
Help us to support the community by making a donation! Be a meaningful part of someone’s else future today with a tax-deductible gift to the Naija Nation Legacy Foundation. Thank you in advance!